Monday, May 2, 2011

Makeover Monday: A Desk Chair Facelift

Much better, right?

My desk chair is an old cheap-o office chair left behind by my house's former owners.
  1. Yay for free stuff!
  2. Ooh! That poor chair needs help. Booooooring!!!
  3. Lists should always have at least three things.
You might recognize the new fabric from the previous post Makeover Monday: Easy Memo Board Re-Do. Or not. Click the link to refresh your memory. Go on. I'll wait.

Whew! So glad you came back. I was worried for a minute. Anyway, here's how it all happened.


Ingredients:
  • Ugly chair
  • Fabric
  • Spray paint
  • Duct tape
  • Scissors
  • Screwdriver
First of all, wait for a sunny (or at least not rainy) day. Remove the seat from the chair frame. Spray paint the frame. This took an entire can of spray paint.

Secondly, ignore the horrendous shed in the background. It's coming down as soon as possible, but in the meantime is perfect for spray paint projects. It's not like the shed could possibly look worse.

Spray paint cures a lot of problems.

Thirdly, while the paint is drying, cover the seat. I chose to use duct tape for a few reasons.
  1. This makes it very easy to change the cover when I get bored with it.
  2. My staple gun is still somewhere in Ireland in my mother-in-law's storage room. I've looked for it and refuse to believe that I may need to actually buy a new one.
  3. Lists should always have at least three things.

Ingredients for the seat.

Tape down four opposing sides first. Gather the rest of the fabric as smoothly as possible and tape that down. Use lots of tape if you need to. Avoid the holes. You'll need those later.

Duct tape is genius.

Screw the seat back onto the dried chair frame (See, I told you you'd need those holes again!) and you're finished!

Yup! Definitely better.

And here it is at my desk, also left by the previous owners. Saaa-weet!

I seem to be very much into green right now.






2 comments:

  1. You did a great job on this one too! Free is definately my favorite price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi... that was great stuff.. I really like reading on this subject Could you tell me more on that... I love to explore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...