|An easy t-shirt re-do.|
It's that time again. Iron Craft's challenge was called To A Tee. The assignment was to transform an ordinary t-shirt. I had two shirts that were in the same color family. I used the overly large, bleach and hair dye spotted one to make the petals. Lots of petals. I just really loved the color and thought I could use it for something sometime. Turns out I was right. Yay!
I cut out a pile of petals while sitting in bed watching TV. It's really not something that needs a lot of mental attention. The petals, not the TV. Okay, maybe the TV too. I just cut out random shapes that were rounded at one edge and flat on the opposite side. I doubled up the fabric to make things go a bit faster.
- T-Shirt (plus extra fabric for the petals)
- Hot glue gun
- Fabric hot glue sticks
- Board (to keep the glue from seeping in and gluing both sides of the shirt together)
So, I just discovered Fabric Stik. It's a fabric hot glue stick. Seriously. If I were a religious person, I'd say that the heavens opened up and a million angels were singing the Halleluiah Chorus when I found them at Hobby Lobby. But I'm not. But I was thrilled. I believe I've mentioned a time or two that I really hate to sew. If you don't mind sewing, by all means have fun with that.
I glued the petals down, overlapping them. I started at the top of the shoulder and worked my way down, tucking them under the previous petals.
|Glue the petals down, overlapping them.|
Finished! And, sorry for the chest shot. I really, really didn't want to do my hair and makeup today.
|The finished shirt. On me. I promise.|
And here's the second shirt. I gave this one a makeover way before I had a blog, so I don't have a "before" picture. Sorry. Just imagine a traditional men's t-shirt with a round collar and short sleeves. Well, on me the sleeves came down to my elbows and the shoulder came all the way down to where a cap sleeve would end. Not cute.
|Holden Beach, NC - The happiest place on Earth.|
I cut off the collar and made a v-neck. I didn't hem the shirt at all. I just tugged on it a bit to get it to roll. I then cut off the sleeves and ruched the shoulders. That part I did sew. And only stabbed myself with the needle twice.
I think that the shirt is so much better than it was before. It's definitely more flattering and more wearable. Double yay!