Friday, May 27, 2011

Fabulous Faux Hematite Ring

I'm head over heels for this ring. *cue rimshot* Thank you folks! I'll be here all week.

I believe I may have mentioned a time or two before that I'm a bit of a craft hoarder. Well...yeah. I've had a set of two resin faces for somewhere around twenty years. Yep. Twenty years. Think about that for a minute. I bought them, had no idea what I was going to do with them, and kept them. For. Twenty. Years! Even I realize that's insane. On the upside, I finally got around to using one of them to make my fabulous new faux hematite ring. Yay me!


Ingredients:
  • Ring base with pad
  • Resin faces with flat backs
  • Acrylic paint - black & silver
  • E6000
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint brush

The ingredients.

I started out by giving the resin face a coat of black paint on both sides.

Add black.

After that dried, I gave just the face side a thin coat of silver paint.

Add silver.

And after that dried I gave both sides a coat of Mod Podge to seal it.

Add sealer.

And after that dried, I glued it on to the ring base using E6000. I used a bit of bubble wrap to stabilize the ring while it dried.

Add ring base.

And then after that dried it was finished!

Add finger.

This was so easy and I love how the silver gives the black a very subtle metallic sheen. It does look a lot like black hematite in person. Now, what am I going to do with that other resin face?


1 comment:

  1. I have underwear older than twenty years, can I do a craft with that? Love the ring darlin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...