Tuesday, January 20, 2015
The excitement of getting my ipsy bag every month has not abated in any way. It's still like Christmas every time. Weird? No? This month's theme is Fresh Start. Not sure why. That's just what the card said.
Let's get started with my fave product in the bag:
1. Pacifica Natural Mineral Coconut Eye Shadow in Treasure - I had some misgivings with this eye shadow. I've tried a Pacifica duo in the past and the pigmentation wasn't there...
...but, BAM!!! There it is! That's swatched without a primer, folks. How gorgeous is that?
It lasted all day on me with primer. I haven't tried it on my eyes without it. The one bummer is that in order to get this shade, you have to buy the whole palette. There's no singles. Bummer.
(Palette Value $32. Sample Value $2.90)
2. (MALIN+GOETZ) Mojito Lip Balm - This balm is pretty awesome. It's thick, but not in a weird way. The lime scent is subtle, but so yummy. It's very moisturizing. Two thumbs up from me!
(Full Size $12. Sample Value $8.40)
3. La Fresh Eco-Beauty Be Good. Good Day. Day Moisturizer - This is a pretty good moisturizer. It behaved itself under my makeup, but it doesn't have sunscreen. That's something I look for in a day-time moisturizer. I do love the packaging of the sample size (which you can buy!). It's a foil packet done right with a screw-top cap. There's enough product for a good trial. The full size is in a traditional jar.
(Full size $40. Sample size $13.99)
4. Hikari Cosmetics Mechanical Eye Liner in Storm - This poor, poor eyeliner. It's so bad I feel sorry for it. It has almost no pigmentation. I'm pretty pale, so things tend to show up on me pretty well. Not this. Not at all. I even warmed it up to try to make it better. No luck.
This swatch took me For. Ev. Er! I love that it's a mechanical pencil (because I'm lazy), but that's about all I can say for this.
5. Manna Kadar Cosmetics Sheer Glo - This shimmer lotion looks so pretty, doesn't it? The packaging is darling.
Just look at that pink shimmery loveliness.
Uh...wait! Where did it go? Yeah, that's what happens when this product is blended out. It leaves not a trace behind. Nothing. Nada. So what's the point?
(Full size $29. Sample value $7.83)
The bag - I'm not really sure how I feel about this one. It's plasticy with a blue side, a white side, and a coral zipper and liner. It's okay. The color blocking takes me back to the 90's. The color combo is unexpected. It's alright. The texture feels weird. I dunno. Can you tell I'm not excited?
The grand total for this month's bag is $46.12. I'm on the fence this month. Two products definitely won't get used. All of the others were so good. Just for fun, I added up the prices of the products I liked and that came to $25.29. That's still a great deal for a $10 bag. I'm going to call that a win.
If you're interested and would like to give me some points, head on over to ipsy to check them out. It's a customizable $10/month subscription service that gives out deluxe sample size and full size products in a reusable makeup bag. And it's a lot of fun.
Wednesday, December 31, 2014
I've tried writing this one a few times already. I deleted a few drafts. The negative tone didn't set well with me. To be totally honest, 2014 was literally the worst year of my life. I'm glad it's over. Instead of dwelling on that, I've decided to list my wishes for 2015.
- I wish for peace. World peace. Peace in the Middle East. Family peace. Whichever. I'll be happy with any of those. (Side note: relatives ≠ family)
- I wish for good health for my family and friends.
- I wish for stability.
- I wish for fun.
- I wish for happiness for all.
So, even though 2014 left me feeling stomped on like a sidewalk dandelion, I'm still hopeful for a much brighter future. Bring on 2015!
What are your hopes and dreams for 2015?
Friday, December 26, 2014
Umm...so this is kind of late. Remember our costumes for Halloween? Well, this is how I made Sean's bow tie, which can be repurposed. Stick around for that.
I cut two pieces of felt. One was 10 inches by 2.5 inches. The second one was 1.25 inches by 3.25 inches. Still with me?
I folded the large strip in half, overlapping it a bit. Using a needle and thread, I sewed the ends together and created the pinched look. I then wrapped the small strip around the center and sewed the ends of that together, but not attaching it to the large strip. For the bow tie, I slipped a large safety pin into the back.
Once Sean was finished with it, I then slipped it onto a headband. Adorable! You could also use a clip.
This whole project took me less than ten minutes. And I'm awful at sewing. I'm thinking of making these in several different colors to match my daughter's wardrobe.
Wednesday, December 24, 2014
It's that time of year again. Again!?! Where did this year go? I won't keep you too long. I just wanted to say Happy Holidays and I wish you a wonderful new year!
My family and I made some gingerbread houses last night. Here are some of the highlights.
|Such concentration. Photo by Sean O'Donoghue.|
|Pretty pleased with her work.|
|Nom! (In actuality, she still hasn't taken the first bite. She says it's too pretty to eat.)|
|Yeah...there's no hope for this one, but it did taste good.|
|Mine! Tasted better than it looks.|
Tuesday, December 23, 2014
|Thinking of You themed bag|
Straight up, I love this month's bag. It introduced me to my new favorite...you'll just have to wait and see!
In no particular order (because I liked it all!) here's what I got this month.
1. Bumble and bumble. Straight Blow Dry - Smells lovely and does what it's supposed to. I have thick hair that tends to frizz. This helped my blow-out last for a few days and left my hair soft. (Value $14 for 2oz. Sample Value $3.50)
2. NYX Cosmetics Butter Lip Balm in Ladyfingers - This is described as "mauve", but seriously it's more of a berry pink. The color lasted from 8 am to lunchtime at noon. The moisturizing effect stuck around a bit longer. Plus, it smells like candy. (Value $4)
3. CAILYN Cosmetics Just Mineral Eye Polish in Orchid - I've never tried something like this before. The packaging is certainly unique. The eye polish is a loose powder eye shadow and is a lovely shimmery rose gold. Applied dry, it's pretty subtle. Use a sticky primer or apply wet to amp up the drama. (Value $15)
|Love this, too!|
4. Swissco Electroplated Eyelash Curler in Purple - To be totally honest, I didn't try this one. I have naturally curly lashes and already have a curler that I rarely have to use. (Only when I've slept on my face weird and my lashes are doing freaky things, really.) I'll probably pass this one along to someone else. It's adorable, though. The purple is so pretty. This model also comes in blue. (Value $5)
|Love that purple!|
|Aaaannnddd.....a different angle.|
|The new love of my life!|
6. Wet n Wild MegaSlicks Balm Stain Moisturizing Lip Color in Lady and the Vamp - This one is an oldie but a goodie in my makeup collection. I had to redeem some points before they expired, so I ordered this. I didn't realize that I already had this one, I just thought they had brought out a new dark color. Soooo...now I have two.
|An old love.|
7. The bag - This month's bag is a nice black satin with a plastic hang tag. The zipper and lining match the tag. It's cute. It'll get used.
If you already subscribe, what did you get? I'm nosy like that.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014
|Pretty happy face for a kid who's wearing an ugly sweater!|
So guess who got the news at, oh, around 9 o'clock last night that this morning is ugly sweater day at school? Yeah, that would be me. So after I stopped panicking, I came up with a pretty decent plan. I took Zara's most embellished sweater (dress) and added my own bits.
|A closer look at all its glory.|
Monday, December 8, 2014
So, I lost my crafting mojo a while back, but I think I can feel it slowly returning. Woohoo!!! I really missed it! Even though my daughter has been out of diapers for many years now, I still carry wipes around with me. I have a box in my purse, in my desk at work, and on my vanity to clean my brushes. They're awesome and how did I get through so many years (decades!) without them? I dunno.
Even if you don't carry around wipes yourself, this could be a cute idea for someone you know who's expecting.
And speaking of expecting, expect more crafty things out of me in the future. Did I mention how much I missed it? ;-)