Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How to Make Colored Sugar

I'm calling these Frost Blue, Blackberry Bramble, Key Lime Pie, and Orange Sherbet.

It was only after spending around three bucks on a jar of colored sugar for decorating baked goods that I realized I could probably make that at home for practically free. Definitely a #facepalm moment. Making colored sugar is so Super Simple it's almost embarrassing. I whipped up four colors in almost no time at all. Here's how I added to my starting-to-get-out-of-control sprinkles and sugar collection.

Ingredients:
  • Sugar
  • Food dye
  • Zipper top sandwich bag (there's three in the photo, but I only used one)
  • Storage (i.e. empty spice bottles)
  • Paper plates
The ingredients.

Measure out the sugar by filling the storage jar with sugar and emptying it into a zipper topped sandwich bag. Add food dye. Smoosh it around until the sugar is evenly coated.

The dye forms beads in the sugar. It looks strange. Don't be scared. It's supposed to look like that.

Spread the sugar out on paper plates to let it dry out a bit. I use paper plates because it's so easy to just fold the plate in half and use it like a funnel to pour the sugar into the jars.

Let them dry for a while. Admire the colors while you're at it.

Here's how I made the colors:
  • Frost Blue - 1 drop blue, 1 tsp. Wilton silver lustre powder
  • Blackberry Bramble - 2 drops blue, 4 drops red
  • Key Lime Pie - 1 drop blue, 2 drops yellow
  • Orange Sherbet - 1 drop red, 2 drops yellow
So sparkly!

I read somewhere that if you dilute gel colors just a bit, they'll give a brighter color, but I haven't tried that yet. When I do, I'll let you know how that turns out. I'm also on the lookout for coarse sugar. I haven't seen any at the grocery store, but I just love the way coarse colored sugar looks. Any ideas where I can pick up some?





4 comments:

  1. Ok, what am I supposed to do with the colored sugar? I like this idea but am not sure what it's for. HELP!!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can decorate cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and ice cream for starters. I used them on my Easter cookies: http://happycakecrafts.blogspot.com/2011/04/coconut-easter-cookes-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that Tabitha. I'll put this one to good use! You go girl! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be able to get coarse sugar at the whole foods store. Or possibly Kroger :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...