Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Floral Photo Frame

A Spring-tastic Shrink Plastic Frame


What does spring mean to me? That's the question of the week posed by Iron Crafter Spring Contest. Well, sort of. Technically, it's "Spring." Period. But I did have to ask myself that question. Turns out, spring means flowers, butterflies, and my daughter running barefoot through the grass. Who knew? It also means the return of flip-flops, but I couldn't figure out a way to tastefully throw them into the mix. Anyway, I made this magnetic floral photo frame from one of my favorite things - Shrinky Dinks shrink plastic.


Ingredients
  • Shrink plastic - white
  • Permanent markers
  • Photo
  • E6000 (or your favorite strong glue)
  • Magnets
  • Tape (optional)
  • Scissors (small and very sharp)
  • Sand paper

Start out with a whole sheet of white shrink plastic. Sand it. This creates a better surface for the markers, otherwise your design could flake off. (Don't ask how I know this.) Draw your design using permanent markers, leaving a blank space in the center.

Color the plastic.

Cut out the blank space using very sharp scissors. I poked a hole to fit the scissors into first. Be very careful at this stage. Before it's shrunk, the plastic is brittle and can break. (Again, don't ask how I know.) If you have a very sharp craft knife, that might work instead of scissors. Mine just scored the surface. I then tried a box cutter. The scissors worked out best for me.

Cut out the center.

Shrink it according to the directions on the package. You may want to keep a pair of tongs nearby. My frame completely turned in around itself and needed to be untangled. I was a very nervous crafter for a minute or two over that.

Assemble the frame.

Cut the photo to fit the frame and glue it to the back of the frame. Glue the magnets to the upper corners. The magnets I used were so strong they kept traveling towards each other, so I had to hold them in place with a bit of tape until the glue dried.

The back.

Once it's dry, it's finished.

Finished!

Finished and on the refrigerator.

So, that's how I see spring. Bare feet and all.


2 comments:

  1. I don't see how you can come up sith some thing new EVERY SINGLE DAY!! You are the queen of all crafts, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get some shrinky dink!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...