Monday, April 11, 2011

Makeover Monday: Glass Vase Update

The pink tissue paper is purely for show. It just makes the text easier to photograph.

This Makeover Monday's project is more subtle than the other things I've done, but I think it's cute. I updated a glass vase that I've been using to hold paintbrushes. This was pretty easy to do and it carries a very important message: CREATE TODAY! And, yes, my vase is shouting at me. Sometimes that's the only way I listen.

Ingredients:
  • Plain glass vase with flat sides
  • Glass etching cream
  • Paint brush
  • Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
I started out by free-hand writing the text on the vase with etching cream, letting the text run into the edges of the vase. I used Armour Etch, but any etching cream will work. My theory is that etching the glass will allow the Dimensional Magic to stick to the glass better.

Etching creates a good base for the Dimensional Magic.

Follow the directions on the bottle. Sort of. I let the cream set for ten minutes, rinsed, noticed that the etching was still patchy, and reapplied...and let that set for ten minutes.

Let the cream set for ten minutes and reapply as necessary.

After you get a good etching,  apply the Dimensional Magic. Follow those directions, too. Do not squeeze the bottle. You will get air bubbles. Air bubbles are not your friends, however they can be popped with a pin or toothpick.

Add the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic for a little dimension. It does exactly what it says.

Let it dry before setting it upright. I let mine dry overnight. Mostly because it was pretty late when I finished up my crafting mini-marathon.

It goes on cloudy and dries clear.

Finished! 

Kinda hard to see here so...

...here's a closeup with some tissue paper behind it.

Another before & after. I just love 'em.

Here's the vase in its place on my desk giving me my daily inspiration.

I love how this looks like worked glass and it just makes me smile.


2 comments:

  1. Cute! I'm going to get some of that etching cream! Thanks for posting and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Your desk is so tidy! I love that! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...