Friday, June 10, 2011

Recycled Bead Pendant Necklace

There are three things in this photo that are recycled. Care to guess which ones?

I'm really, really digging resin, as evidenced with my Map to the Beach Ring and Glittery Hairpin. This is my third resin project and it incorporates three recycled things. The chain you might recognize from my Makeup Bag to Wristlet Makover. The three rectangular beads are from a bracelet that broke about a decade ago (more craft hoarding). The pendant base...well...

The base.

 Can you guess what it started out life as?


 
As much as I love the top one, I really used the bottom one. They're yummy, too.

Yup. The end cap of a tube of crescent rolls. Pretty cool, right? The heat popped the end off before we could make it home.  I hate it when that happens, but it made a perfect base for the pendant.

Ingredients:
  • Epoxy resin
  • Disposable cups
  • Craft stick
  • End cap of a crescent roll tube
  • Beads
  • Chain
  • Tweezers (optional, but helpful)
  • E6000
  • Jewelry findings - eye pin, jump ring, split ring
  • Pliers
  • Wire cutters
Arrange the beads in the base. Please note that any clear beads will not show up after the resin is poured over them. (I learned this the hard way.)

Arrange the beads. Tweezers are so helpful with this step.

Mix the resin according to the directions on the box and pour it very carefully over the beads. If any have become displaced, rearrange them with the tweezers or a craft stick.

Pour the resin over the beads.

While that's drying for, oh, about three days, assemble the rest of the necklace. Since the chain is long enough to slip over my head, I didn't bother with a clasp.

Assembling the necklace.

I hooked together the ends of the chain with a jump ring and attached a dangle I made using some of the same beads used in the pendant and an eye pin.

The green flower bead is from my Great Aunt Flossie. I love vintage!

After the resin has cured, attach a split ring to the back with a bit of E6000. You could use a second jump ring instead.

The back.

And after that's dried, add it to the end of the dangle. 

Finished!

I just love how shiny the resin is. Of course, I'm easily distracted by shiny objects.

Ooh! Shiny!


2 comments:

  1. now thats a crafty one for sure,, very pretty,, lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a fantastic idea and extremely pretty too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...