Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Father's Day Card...and a craft fail

Happy Father's Day!

Father's Day is coming up and Iron Craft challenged us to make Something For Him. I had an awesome idea but that didn't work out so well. (More on that later.) Instead, I made a card for my husband.

Ingredients:
  • Paper - 2 sheets of mat paper, scraps in cream and brown
  • Glue stick
  • Scissors
  • Brads - 7
  • Stamps
  • Ink - copper and walnut brown
  • Straight edge
  • Stylus
  • Adhesive foam strips
I picked out a striped mat paper and a coordinating cream colored paper. I trimmed the cream paper to fit inside of the finished card, leaving a border around the edges.

I <3 gorgeous papers.

I stamped a swirl on opposite corners of the cream paper using copper ink.

Stamping the inside.

Then I glued it to what will be the inside of the card using a glue stick. Notice I left more space on the left. This will make the cream part centered when the card finally comes together.

Glue the inside.

I cut a small rectangle from brown paper, inked the edges, and attached four brads to the corners.

Shiny brads.

I glued that to the front of the card.

Glue the front.

Using the same swirl stamp and copper ink as the inside of the card, I made a frame. I then stamped the text in walnut brown.

Indeed, it is your day.

I cut out the stamped image.

Curvy.

I then attached that to the front using adhesive foam strips. This gives the card a bit of extra dimension.

Foamy.

Then I scored the left side of the front of the card a little less than a half an inch (I really hate to measure) from the edge. This makes the card easy to open and easy to display.

Score it.

I attached three more brads to the little flap that was made when I scored the card front and then I glued the flap to the card's back.  

Finished!

And now for the fail. I thought it would be very cool to make tiny Polaroid keychains. I downloaded a set of frames from Fuzzimo and picked frame #4. I added some text and a photo of my daughter. It was all going well up until this next step.

Cute, right?

I was out of white Shrinky Dinks paper, so I used the clear rough and ready. Erm...bad idea. The ink bled all over the place. I decided to go ahead and shrink it anyway. I thought maybe it would turn out artsy and abstract or something. "Or something" was right.

Scary!

I'm still in love with the idea, but I definitely need to pick up some white Shrinky Dinks. Or something.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see craft fails, makes me feel better for being a craft dummy. Love the Daddys Day card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer on the shrinky dinks. They make one specifically to print on. I think they still recommend sealing it though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...