Monday, March 28, 2011

Makeover Monday: Layered Necklace


For this week's Makeover Monday, I'm getting a bit nostalgic. My great-grandmother, Reathel, once gave me a beautiful flower locket bracelet that she had had for a pretty long time. I loved it. I loved how if you pushed down the right petal it would reveal a secret compartment. It seemed so magical to me. And then it broke. The clasp snapped off and I could never figure out how to repair it. I kept it anyway. Fast forward to today, when I finally figured out what to do with the locket. I've been loving all of the layered necklaces I've seen everywhere, so I made my own and used the locket as a focal piece.


The ingredients.

Ingredients:
  • Flower (locket)
  • Pin back
  • E6000
  • Chain necklaces (I used five different ones)
  • Wire cutter (optional)

The first thing I did was use the wire cutters to remove the locket from the bracelet. Now, I realize that not everyone is going to have a vintage flower shaped locket just lying around. A fabric flower would work perfectly for this project. You could switch them out to match different outfits.

That's my uncle as a kid.

I then glued a pin back on using E6000. While it was drying, I took the opportunity to cut a new photo for the locket. Not that there's anything wrong with the old one of my uncle.

Turning a bracelet into a pin.
 
I then connected my chain necklaces. I had tons of these gold chains from the 80s. Yeah, not so much my style anymore. I used five different chains, one long and four short ones. I made two sets of the short ones to make a total of three long chains. Still with me? Some of the chains had large lobster clasps, so I hooked them onto the other chains to keep everything together and secure. And less of a pain in the tush to wear. When the pin had dried, I threaded it through the chains and that was it. Finished!

I think it's pretty and will get way more wear than before.

The new photo is of all of us the day Seán became an American citizen.

I really need to start hiring a model.

I love this necklace for two reasons. One: I'll have something of Granny with me. I've been missing her a lot lately. Two: Everything can be pulled apart and worn separately. Nothing's permanently connected, so I can mix and match as much as I want. I love having options.


1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet. You did a great job and no, you do not need to hire a model.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...