|Pink Strawberry Cake|
When asked what kind of cake she wanted for her birthday, Zara said, "Pink Foofa!" She wanted a Yo Gabba Gabba theme and Foofa is her favorite character. Foofa is pink and happy and has a flower on her head. Of course.
The venue for her birthday party doesn't allow lit candles, so I did four dozen cupcakes to take there. I did a very small two-tiered cake for her at-home celebration so she could blow out her candles.
Fresh Strawberry Cake
(makes 24 cupcakes
19 cupcakes, one 6" cake & one 8" cake)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons strawberry flavoring
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (or add more to taste)
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 12 drops red food coloring
- 1/2 lb. (8 oz.) fresh strawberries, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pans with a non-stick spray and line muffin tin with cupcake liners. I used one 6 inch pan & one 8 inch pan, plus made 19 cupcakes.
- Cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and strawberry flavoring. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the milk, applesauce, food coloring, and strawberries.
- Pour mixture into the pans.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes. 20-25 for cupcakes. To check if they're done, insert a toothpick. If it comes out clean, they're finished.
- Let the cakes cool on a rack.
- Nom. Nom. Nom.
|Such a retro girly cake!|
|Lots and lots of Foofa flowers.|
|The Birthday Girl blowing out her candles. Ignore the waffle in her hand.|
Drop back by tomorrow for more of Zara's birthday!