Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Super Simple Bow Hair Pin

Plaid matches everything, right?


Iron Craft's Challenge #21 - Where We Come From asked us to do something indicative of our heritage.  I'm Cherokee, Scottish, and English. That's a pretty broad spectrum to pick from, but still I was blocked. I'm going to admit, I kinda copped out on this one. I made a Super Simple bow hair pin out of plaid fabric. I think it turned out totally adorable.


Ingredients:
  • Fabric - 3 1/2" x 3 3/4" & 1/2" x 3 3/4"
  • Fabri-tac
  • Bobby pin
  • Scissors
  • Ruler

The ingredients. I didn't use that tiny square of black felt. Everything else is necessary.

Start by hemming all sides of the larger piece of fabric with Fabri-tac. In case you don't know, Fabri-tac is a quick drying fabric glue. You could sew this, but the glue makes it just so easy. I can't recommend a hot glue gun for this. It'd just be asking for trouble and a trip to the hospital.

Turn all the sides in just a little bit and glue them down.

Hem the longest sides of the smaller piece of fabric.

Turn in the longest sides of the smallest piece of fabric and glue them down.

Glue the longest sides of the larger piece of fabric together, making a tube.

Totally tubular tube.

Lay the larger piece of fabric across the smaller piece. Wrap the smaller piece around the middle of the larger one, scrunching in the middle. It should wrap around twice. Glue it down.

Wrap the smaller piece around the center of the larger piece.


Finished bow.

Insert the bobby pin into the loop created at the back of the bow and secure with a bit of glue.

Add the bobby pin.

Finished!

Zara likes it. Yay!


3 comments:

  1. nowthats sweet,

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I look at it doing anything crafty each week isn't copping out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my blog and I love the bow tie idea! I your newest follower!
    XOXO
    Sadie Jane
    www.simplysadiejane.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...