Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Team Mascot Magnet

Go Cats...and get me some groceries!



Iron Craft's challenge this week was definitely challenging for me.  The challenge was "Hometown", which shouldn't be all that hard, but my hometown isn't really known for anything in particular. I copped out and went with my old high school's mascot, the bobcat.


Then I had to figure out what it was that I wanted to make, exactly. I definitely didn't want a charm or a keychain, because they'd never be used. It took me a while, but I decided to do a refrigerator magnet. A Super Simple Shrinky Dinks refrigerator magnet.


Ingredients:
  • Rough & Ready Shrinky Dinks paper
  • Paper
  • Colored Pencils
  • Mod Podge or your favorite sealer
  • E600 or your favorite strong glue
  • Strong magnet
  • Scissors
The first thing I did was sketch out my bobcat on plain paper, then traced over it onto the Shrinky Dinks paper with colored pencils. Draw on the rough side. If you're doing lettering, be sure to write it backwards. Cut out your design and follow the directions on the Shrinky Dinks package to shrink your design.

The back.

After shrinking, let it cool then apply a layer of Mod Podge to the rough area to seal the pencil. Allow that to dry then glue the magnet to the back. And that's it.
 
The front.

You could use markers with this, but they do tend to bleed a bit. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably paint the back white instead of using the Mod Podge to avoid that dark shadow in the middle of the bobcat's face. Craft as I say and not as I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...