Monday, October 26, 2015

alter ego: ipsy's October glam bag


Hey, all!
This post is late, late, late! There's been a ton going on lately and on top of that I've developed a crochet obsession. I had to force my self to put down the project I'm working on to type this post. Seriously. (Also, that's a major hint for the next blog post.) 

This month's ipsy glam bag theme is "alter ego". Cute. I love anything remotely Halloween-y. This bag came with some great stuff and some no-so-great stuff. In order of faves to not so much, here's what I got and what I thought.

1. theBalm Cosmetics Mary-Lou Manizer - I was sooooo hoping to get this in my bag. I've been wanting to try it out for ages. Being so pale, I have a hard time finding a good highlighter. They're usually too dark, too glittery, or just look like normal face powder on me. Bummer! This one, however, is ahhhh-mazing!


Can we take a moment for the packaging? the Balm does such cute packaging.


Mary-Lou Manizer is a fab champagne gold. It's shimmery but not at all glittery. It blends well and stays all day on me. I also tried this as an eyeshadow and loved it. I'm definitely picking up the full size when this little one runs out.
(Full size value $24.00. Sample size value $1.60)


2. tarte deluxe LipSurgence™ skintuitive lip gloss in energy - This is one of those fun products that changes color. I've loved "mood" lipsticks since the 80's and for my birthday this year I picked up Lipstick Queen's Frog Prince. So, I'm sure you can guess how tickled pink (geddit?) I was to get this in my glam bag.


This gloss smells like cotton candy, but it's subtle. Once it's on, I can't smell it at all. (Another bummer. I love cotton candy and wouldn't mind smelling it all day!) It goes on clear and develops into a pretty, sheer pink. It's slightly sticky, which helps it stay on longer. It's not as sticky as MAC's Lip Glass, but if you hate sticky altogether, be warned.
(Full size value $19.00. Sample size value $3.56)


3. AYRES Pampas Sunrise Hand Cream -  This is a really nice hand cream. I love lemongrass anything. The patchouli warms it up a bit. It absorbs quickly and is non-greasy. All good things.
(Full size value $12.50. Sample size value $6.25)


4. Nourish Organic Pure Hydrating Argan Face Serum - There were two products in my glam bag that I'm just not feeling. This is one of them. It made my skin warm. It didn't burn, per se. However, it felt warm. And thick. And it hated my foundation. This would probably work better at night, but with the warming (not quite burning), I'm kind of afraid to try it again. Also (this is stupid), since it was in a tube I thought it would be thick. Long story short, I spilled a bunch on my carpet. It's serum. Don't let the tube fool you. If you're interested, the full size comes in a bottle with a pump, which is a great idea. I do like the scent. It's apricot and rose hip. I mostly smell earthy citrus.
(Full size value $23.99. Sample size value $16.79)


5. Coastal Scents Xpress Line Cosmetic Pencil in Black - This is the other product in my bag that I did not enjoy. At all. It's going into the trash when I'm finished with this post because there's no one I dislike enough to pass this along to. There are so many excellent, inexpensive eyeliners out there that there's no need to waste time with something that is so hard and patchy. It literally hurt to apply this.


I tried this as a tight liner, on my waterline, on my upper eyelid, and on my lower eyelid. It didn't stick around. By lunchtime it was gone from my waterline and by dinnertime it was faded and smudged everywhere else. I've heard good things about the company, so I'd like to try other things from Coastal Scents, but not this. Never, ever, ever again.

*edit 10/29/15 - Oops! I had totally forgotten that I had a couple of blushes from them from my August 2014 glam bag. They're good blushes and I'm wearing them right now. Together. That's just how I roll.
(Value $2.95)


Rewards Bonus - Pixi by Petra Brow Powder Trio - I had some points burning a hole in my pocket, so I picked out this brow trio.


I really like this. The idea is that you can mix your perfect brow shade. I found myself using different shades depending on what part of my brow that I'm working on. I tended to go lighter on the inner and outer portions and darker near my arch. It's fun having options.


These are matte and also work well as eyeshadows. (Yes, I always try to find multiple uses for products.) I'd recommend using a primer if you're trying these on your lids. I forgot the first time and had some creasing by the evening. I really do enjoy this product. I'd consider buying the full palette when this one runs out.
(Full size value $12.00. Sample size value $3.00)


The bag - We need to discuss this bag. It's pretty cute. I'm getting a definite 80's vibe.


It's a very metallic yellow gold on one side and a black patent leather-like vinyl on the other.


The grand total for this bag is $31.15 ($34.15 with the bonus plus the bag). I'm a pretty happy camper. If you haven't heard, ipsy is a $10/month customizable beauty subscription service. If you use my referral link I get points. Points get me free things. I like free things. If you're not comfortable with that (I totally understand), then check out ipsy.com.

If you already subscribe, what did you get? If it was the same as me, what did you think of the serum and eyeliner? Any helpful tips on using them?

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...