Thursday, October 14, 2010

Autumn Fairy Costume: Wand

Here are a few facts about my daughter, Zara. She has bright red hair, loves to play dress up, adores a tutu and wings, and loves to dance. Put all of that together and you get her Halloween costume: an Autumn fairy. And since Halloween is getting close, I have a lot of work ahead of me. After putting her to bed last night, I got a pretty good start. I finished up her wand and her headband and I'm really pleased with how they turned out.
A wand fit for a fairy princess.

The ingredients.
Here are the supplies you'll need for this project:
  • One 12 x 3/8 inch dowel
  • One 1 inch wood bead with a 3/8 inch hole
  • Gold acrylic paint
  • Paint brush
  • Glue gun with a glue stick
  • Ribbon
  • Tulle
  • Styrofoam pumpkin
  • Fabric leaves (Got mine at the Dollar Tree)
In the photo above is pictured some wired garland. In the store I thought it was a fabulous idea, but when I started to work with it I realized that my two and a half year old would have that destroyed in no time.

Hot glue the bead to the end of the dowel and paint the whole thing.
You may want to sand the hot glue that shows at the end of the bead to make the paint stick a bit better.
Make or enlarge the hole in the bottom of the pumpkin. Glue onto the end of the dowel.
Lay out your decorations to get an idea of how you want the wand to look. Glue it together.
And that's it! I did a few extra touches like cutting the tulle into strips after I had glued it to the pumpkin and I tied knots on the ends of the ribbon. Stay tuned to see how I decorated the coordinating headband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...