Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Butterfly Jar

So girly I heart it!


Raise your hand if you tend to save interesting-looking bottles and jars? Mmmkay...looks like I'm in the minority with my jar hoarding. That's alright. When Iron Craft's Bottles and Jars challenge came up, I had the perfect project in mind. And the perfect jar.

Ingredients:
  • Jam jar (Mine was Polaner's All-Fruit)
  • Candlestic
  • E6000
  • Spray paint
  • Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
  • Drawer pull
  • Screw
  • Nail
  • Hammer
  • Sand paper


Start by gluing the candlestick to the bottom of the jar using E6000 or some other very strong, clear glue. Set aside to let it dry.

Sand the lid and then use a nail and hammer to make a hole in the center of the lid that is large enough for the screw.

Place random dots of Mod Podge Dimensional Magic over the top of the lid. Let that dry. Give the lid a few coats of spray paint. Allow that to dry thoroughly.

Remove the bolt from the drawer pull. It'll be way too long for the lid. If you really want to, you could saw it off to fit, but I really didn't want to. Thread the screw through the inside of the lid, place a drop of glue on the pointy part of the screw and place the drawer pull over the screw. I also reinforced the back with a bit more glue.

More drying time and that's it. I think I actually worked on this a total of maybe ten minutes. Maybe. (Drying time is a bit longer.)




7 comments:

  1. I hoard jars. They are in a box in my garage waiting for a project. Thanks for the cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. guilty here as well, this is a really cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to laugh because someone told me about these on facebook the other day & called them redneck wine glasses! I think they look nicer than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all! Kat, I've seen the redneck wine glasses and have actually been tempted to buy one, but why bother when I can make them for free? lol The ones I saw used mason jars. So kitchy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. I may have to make some of the redneck wine glasses for Christmas presents! What a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mmmiiigggggghhtttt have a COUPLE of jars stashed away . . . ! :0) This is really cool! Did you make the butterfly on top? If so, how?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missey & waggonswest, thanks! The butterfly is a drawer pull that came from Michael's craft store.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...